Development of bespoke models to manage disruption across all organizational levels and the full spectrum of event management support.
Managing Disruption Case Study
We were engaged by London Tramlink (part of Transport for London) to provide an Operations Specialist to review and revamp its Performance Development Plan based on best practice. We advised on the development of processes for performance management and service quality improvements, acting as the London Tramlink representative for reliability improvements as part of the Rail for London 10-year vision initiative.
Our scope included:
- Delivery of the Performance Development Plan;
- Design and writing of a complete Disruption Manual for operational and customer-facing staff including Tram Drivers, Controllers, Revenue Protection and Passenger Security staff;
- Designing a supporting performance Data Analysis Database Tool to support attribution of delays aligned to the new Tram Management System;
- Developing a forecasting tool for performance improvement;
- Reviewing current performance processes and introducing new performance management processes to drive a step change in performance management;
- Developing a business case for a new incident reporting system and the creation of a new Control Log;
- Reviewing the resourcing levels in the Control Centre and providing a business case for the introduction of a new role to lead information dissemination internally and to the customer;
- Accident Reporting and Incident Investigation – development of an Integrated Management Procedure.
Major Events Case Study
Docklands Light Railway
North Star was commissioned to assist Serco Docklands in their preparation for the 2012 London Olympic and Paralympic Games. With extensive knowledge and experience of ‘best in class’ rail services, our consultants offered tailored and innovative operational solutions to meet the requirements of this unique event.
We helped deliver a highly motivated and customer focused team of Serco Docklands staff (core and temporary), detailed and specific contingency arrangements for the management of incidents, and a great travel experience for Olympic spectators.
For the 16 days of the Olympics, the DLR carried over 100% more passengers than the same time in 2011. It carried over 20% more passengers than were forecast on most days and set new passenger records on every day of the week during the Olympics. Train availability against the plan was 100% on all days, service reliability performance averaged at 99.1% and service departure performance averaged at 99.0%.
World-Class Reliability During the Games and Beyond
The DLR needed to provide world-class reliability; to maintain and improve upon an excellent level of performance despite the additional pressure on infrastructure that required maximum train availability and leverage of timetable opportunities to transit up to double the usual passenger numbers.
North Star was able to provide valuable assistance to the Performance Improvement Team to help them realise their improved targets. We helped to implement the governance process, especially in the areas where the greatest performance loss was being experienced. Almost all performance work conducted by North Star for the DLR has legacy value beyond the Olympic Games, including processes, project plans, databases, analysis and meeting documentation.
Being Prepared for all Eventualities: Being Prepared to Welcome the World
North Star’s support in preparedness included the following elements:
- Command and Control – Summary of processes in a simple chart showing clear communication channels.
- Contingency Planning – Creation of train service contingency plans for every time of day.
- Managing Disruption – Creation of a Service Delivery Handbook to help minimise disruption to customers.
- Control Room Readiness – Review of Control Centre processes and creation of a Control Manual.
- Crisis Management – Development and testing of a Crisis Management Plan.
Being People-Ready: Providing the Best Customer Experience to Visitors
The DLR aimed to provide spectators with the best customer experience to ensure they got to and from Olympic destinations in an informed and assured manner. North Star advised on staffing and customer communications; vitally important in ensuring the best possible customer experience for Londoners and visitors alike. We were engaged from a very early stage to identify required resources and to devise a plan for recruiting and training additional staff to cope with increased service running and anticipated customer demand.