- 330 miles of track
- 18 trains per hour
- Trains running at 225mph
- 500,000 new jobs created
- 400,000 UK supply chain contracts opportunities
High Speed 2 (HS2) is a new high speed railway linking London with the North of England and improving connectivity throughout the UK, as far as Scotland. It will service over 25 stations, including in eight of the UK’s largest cities.
HS2 is the largest infrastructure project in Europe, and the most important economic and social regeneration project in decades.
Construction of the new railway is split into three phases:
- Phase 1 – linking London and Birmingham. Construction of 134 miles of track, 31 miles of tunnels, 10 miles of viaducts, 150 bridges and four new stations began in 2017. Phase 1 is due to open between 2029 and 2033.
- Phase 2a – linking Birmingham to Crewe. Due to open between 2029 and 2033.
- Phase 2b – extending from Crewe to Manchester, and linking Birmingham with Leeds. Parliamentary approval is currently being sought for this phase, which is expected to open in 2040.
North Star provided the following support to bidders over two separate contracts for the HS2 project:
- Rolling Stock Manufacture and Maintenance Contract (worth £2.75 billion – 54 trains):
- Pre-qualification support for the tender phase.
- Provision of a rolling stock expert to develop Maintenance Plans for the successful bidder during the tender phase.
- Command, Control, Signalling and Traffic Management Systems Contract (worth £540 million):
- Development of bid responses, case study material, and submissions management working with technical experts across seven countries.
- Independent review of bid responses to maximise scoring.