- 76km of track
- 37 stations across the network
- Capable of reaching 107km per hour
- GoA4 (fully automated) metro
The Doha Metro is a rapid transit system in Doha, Qatar’s capital city, that became operational on 8th May 2019. It has three lines with an approximate overall length of 76km and 37 stations. Capable of reaching over 100km/h, the Doha Metro is one of the fastest driverless trains in the world. It is an integral component of the larger Qatar Rail network. The Metro has two intersections with the Lusail Tram, which allows for an efficient and environmentally-friendly mode of travel between Doha and Lusail City.
North Star has provided support for both the Doha Metro and Lusail Tram:
- Operations strategy – we wrote the operations strategy for government body Qatar Rail and provided recommendations on the approach to procuring an operator for the Doha Metro and Lusail Tram.
- Shadow operations procurement – we led the response for the successful shadow operations bidder.
- Operations and maintenance (O&M) procurement – we led the highest scoring response to the O&M Pre-Qualification Questionnaire. North Star also completed an extensive commission developing Operations Plans for the Doha Metro and Lusail Tram O&M contracts on behalf of a major bidder. We applied our extensive experience in the Middle East and expert rail operations knowledge to assist in the development of the technical solution for the O&M of the new rail systems over a combined 20-year contract.
- Mobilisation phase – we provided operations support and expertise for the mobilisation phase for the Doha Metro, including project-managing the delivery of all operations documentation required to submit the Final Operator Safety Case; advising on the security strategy and managing the station takeover process.
“North Star joined our mobilisation for Doha Metro & Lusail Tram at a critical time and amazingly integrated into our team, injecting passion and expertise at exactly the right time.”
Wallace Weatherill, Operations Director, Doha Metro & Lusail Tram